Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What is your Why?

5:45 a.m. my alarm on my phone goes off and I slowly try to find it and shut it off. I lay in bed for a minute to analyze my thoughts, and have the same debate I have with myself every morning. My body tells me to go back to sleep, but my mind tells me something else. It yells GET UP! WORKOUT! FEEL GOOD! remember your WHY!


Many of you probably have this same debate every morning. Some of you may give in and sleep, others overcome their inner voice and workout to start their day off right! We all have different why's. From the athlete training for the olympics, to the mother or father who want to stay healthy, and the grandparents who want to live healthy lives and watch their grandchildren grow.


Why is it so important to discover your why? Without your "why" what do you have? Think about that question for a second. What is your reason for doing anything without a why? We all have motivations whether they be internal or external. Before I discovered my "why" I went through the motions in almost everything I did. I was average at everything and never really lived up to my standards. Let me tell you a story about what discovering my "why" has done for me.


It was the Cross Country State Championship race of my junior year. I wanted to win extremely bad! To make a long story short, I lost the race! I got 7th, I wasn't even close! Losing that race was the best thing that every happened to me. I may not have realized it at the time, but it was. When I sat down after that race and analyzed what I did wrong, I came away with a few simple facts. I did not work hard enough, I did not commit, and I did not succeed. I ended that season with regrets, and decided I never wanted to end anything with regrets again.  On that October day I found my "why". I completely threw myself into all aspects of my training 100%. I had one goal in mind. "Be a Kansas State Track and Field Champion in the 1-mile." That was all that went through my mind from November till May.


How big is your WHY?
I committed and did the hard things when no one was watching, so I could do the fun things when everyone was watching. Exceed my goals. That track season I didn't lose a race. I was beating people I never beat before and running faster then I had ever believed I could. I won three gold medals at state track, and would repeat that the following year, along with a cross country crown. If someone would have told me I would achieve this during my junior year of cross country, I would have asked them what they were smoking. 


Decide, Commit, Succeed
What I want you to take away from this post is the importance of discovering your why. The important thing was not winning the state championships, the important thing was I discovered my why. A why that I could apply to all aspects of my life. I discovered how to work towards my goals with no excuses. Usually the things that we do to achieve our goals are very easy to do with commitment. The problem is these things are even easier not to do. If you want to be successful find your why, do the little things, and repeat what works for you. I now have many knew "why's" that I am striving for. I would love to hear from you, and hear what your "why's" are. A good support system can go a long way. God Bless my friends.




Coach Porter

1 comments:

Adam Porter said...

P90X, Shakeology, and positive people are a few things that helped me achieve my "why". The resources are out there you just have to take advantage of them.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | cheap international calls